PAYPAL IPN is a technology that runs behind the scene. You typically don't type the IPN URL on your address bar to access to it, it is called directly by Paypal gateway. And unlike ordinary webpages, the HTML output of any IPN implementation is not displayed on your browser making debugging very tricky and challenging. When an error occurs in the middle of the code, there is no visible error that will manifest where the problem came from. Unless you are willing to do a trial and error for each line of code in your ipn processor, you're facing quite a headache.
Now comes our PAYPAL-IPN-MADE-EASY system.
Our intelligent IPN processor has a built-in DEBUGGER in the form of an audit trail that makes implementing IPN a breeze. It logs each crucial action of your IPN events in text file that you can later review via your browser using a utility that we also provide. The IPN idea is easy and simple, but when you start adding functions to it like manipulating databases, generating an email notification and those kind of stuff, that is when potential errors could invalidate your whole ipn. Our utility WILL PINPOINT and SHOW YOU EXACTLY WHERE THAT ERROR OCCURED in your program so you won't have to spend countless hours debugging something that you couldn't see. Remember, ALL IPN implementations do not display any visible output on your browser! They all happen in the background.
• Our IPN processor template already includes built-in mail sending capability - sending to you as the vendor and also to the buyer.
• It also contains a template where you would do additional processing like saving the order to a database.
• All codes have well placed markers that will let you know exactly what lines to modify and where to put your additional codes.
Here's how you would do it:
1. Upload the files to your public html or asp web directory.
2. Setup your paypal account to specify the location of your ipn processor page. More info here
3. Test your IPN processor by sending a test transaction using our ipn_livetest utility. You will basically perform a live paypal transaction costing 0.01 cent. Later on you can login to your paypal account to issue a refund for that test transaction. You don't lose a cent testing your ipn.
4. The ipn processor will send a confirmation email to the buyer email account and to your company email and at the same time creating a trace log of each crucial event into a text file that you specified in your ipn_setup file.
5. To view how the ipn transaction reacted to the just completed paypal transaction, point your browser to the URL of your view_ipn_log.asp. Here you will see the step-by-step processes and show you exactly what part of your ipn implementation failed. Our IPN also contains a built-in error trapping system which will show you the exact error message that it trapped.
6. When you are already satisfied with the performance of your IPN, you have the option to turn the audit trail off.
This package comes in 5 files:
1. ipn_processor.asp --> The main IPN processor file with built-in audit trail.
2. ipn_setup.asp --> This is the configuration file. Separated from the main ipn processor to make it much easier for you to put your own setup.
3. view_ipn_log.asp --> A utility to review the contents of your IPN log.
4. ipn_livetest.asp --> Another utility to simulate a live Paypal transaction.
These files are inter-dependent so you only have to make the modification in the setup file, all the rest follow through.
5. IPN_made_easy_guide.pdf --> A well written supplemental guide that describes how to use the system. To be honest, you may not even need this help file because all the source codes contain IN LINE DOCUMENTATIONS. There is built-in documentation inside the codes almost on every line. How convenient!